Thursday, February 12, 2015

Smoothie Central

According to my friend Tom, I needed to make a post about smoothies.  So Tom, this one's dedicated to you.

I drink a protein smoothie every single day.  They are so yummy and filled with tons of great nutrients.  I am going to talk about what I do and give you some ideas/options of ways you can switch it up and make something that you like.

Most of the time, my smoothies are what I drink after a workout, but you can definitely use them as your breakfast if you add some more ingredients to make them more filling if you're on the go. (I've had to do this a couple of times)

Here's what the ingredients I use look like:
(I also have half of a frozen banana, not pictured)

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 banana
  • 4-6 frozen strawberries (depending on size and preference)
  • One scoop of vanilla bean Vegan Protein Powder
  • One spoonful of almond butter (about 1 Tbsp) (*if you don't have this or don't want it, I have just used whole, raw almonds before)
  • Large handful of spinach
  • 1/2 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
  • 1-2 tsp honey 
  • Water (amount depends on consistency)
Directions:

I always cut my bananas in half, then into smaller pieces, and put them into baggies and freeze them beforehand. I have learned to put all the ingredients in first, followed by the liquids, or else they create a huge mess in the blender.  I also don't have the nicest blender, I wish I had a Vitamix, don't remind me I don't. I have to add about 1/2 a cup of water or more just to get it into a smooth, drinkable texture. I also have to use a spoon to get it mixing better as well (struggles).

Here's what it looks like before I mix!

It may not look appetizing, but it's SO good.
Different Variations:
For a more filling version, I sometimes add in about 1/2 cup oats, and 1 Tbsp flax seeds as well.

You can definitely choose which fruits you want to use, like mangos, raspberries, blueberries, etc.  I just personally don't like the taste of those.  Strawberry banana has always been my favorite.  

30 sec. later because I have no self control and can't stop drinking it.

If you're worried about the protein powder, don't be.  You can't taste the chalkiness that some might have.  I love my smoothies and I wouldn't drink them every day otherwise. 

I used to put plain greek yogurt in my smoothies as well and was worried about the taste when I stopped eating as much dairy, but they are still so good.

Feel free to use whatever you'd like, of course!




No comments:

Post a Comment