Monday, February 16, 2015

Meatless Monday

I never participate in "Meatless Monday", but since I wanted to make this anyway, I figured it was fitting.  I found this recipe about a month ago while I was flipping though a magazine during breakfast.  It was about New Years resolutions and all that.  Anyway, they had an article about Cheesy Eggplant Parmesan that I wanted to try.  I know I said in a previous post that I am trying to have no dairy in my diet, but key word: "trying".  I definitely don't eliminate it completely, but I try to limit certain things.  It's just not a sustainable lifestyle to have no dairy EVER!

I don't know that I had ever had eggplant before I made this, but I was willing to give it a try.  It's actually really good! (my opinion) I loved this meal and had leftovers to eat for a couple more days.  Their recipe/directions were kind of weird, so for my second time making it, I decided to change it a little bit and make it my own.

Working on those plating skillzzz



Here is what I did:

Ingredients:

  • 2 large eggplants, peeled and sliced cross-wise into 3/4 in. thick rounds
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
  • 1 large egg white
  • 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
  • 2 cups jarred low-sodium and low-fat or fat free marinara sauce
  • 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
Directions:
1.  Coat a large skillet with non-stick spray and heat to medium-high.  Cook as many eggplant slices that the skillet will allow, on each side, for about 4 minutes each or until tender (sprinkle with black pepper).
2.  While eggplant is cooking, preheat oven to 350.  Add cottage cheese to a food processor and pulse until smooth.  Transfer to a medium sized bowl and add in egg white, 1/4 cup of parmesan, and spinach and stir until well mixed.
3.  Spray a 9x13 baking pan and layer half of the eggplant slices, topped with cottage cheese mix, then rest of eggplant.  Top with marinara, then parmesan cheese.
4.  Bake until cheese is golden brown for about 30-40 minutes.  Let cool for 15 minutes or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment