Thursday, March 5, 2015

PIZZA.

It's time for a crowd pleasing favorite: pizza.

Of course, I'm going to ruin the fun and tell you about a healthier way to make this pizza.

I made a cauliflower crust.  I was absolutely skeptical about this, because who wants a pizza crust made out of a vegetable? Not me.

However, I've seen a million recipes online, so I figured I might as well give it a try.  Here is where I found mine.

After making this recipe, I have a few comments.

First, HOLY COW.  It was AMAZING.  I was so surprised.  It's one of those situations where you don't expect it to taste as good as the original, but it did.  And, it was SO simple to make.  How great is that?!

Seriously, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Second, it makes A LOT.  I would recommend making half the recipe, so that's what I'll include down below.  If you'd like the two pans of it, then go ahead and make the original! I just personally did not need that much.  However, I definitely finished it all anyway.  (over the span of a couple days, not all in one sitting)

Third, I made both the pizza option and the cheesy "bread" option, because I had so much.  I, myself, preferred the cheese bread option the best.  I don't know why, I just like it much better. I can't explain that one.  Pizza, though, you can add your own toppings.  So, that's definitely a close second.

Lastly, almost every recipe I have seen for cauliflower crust calls for using a cheese cloth to ring out the moisture from the cauliflower.  This helps the crust become more crisp.  I chose the lazy route with this recipe and refrained from buying a cheese cloth. I would recommend doing this, however, because I know it will help get that texture!

I am planning on buying a cheese cloth or a nut milk bag asap, though.  I am dying to make my own cheese from almonds and make homemade almond milk.  I'm super cool and exciting.

Anyway, here is the result/recipe!!!! ENJOY

Cauliflower Crust

  • 2 Cups cauliflower, riced in a food processor (about 1/2 head cauliflower)
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 Cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese 
  • 1 1/2 tsp Oregano
  • 2 Cloves of garlic, minced
  • salt & pepper, to taste
  • 1/2-1 Cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese to top
  • Optional: veggies for pizza, marinara (desired amount) 
1.  Preheat oven to 425.  Prepare pizza pans with parchment paper
2.  Add roughly chopped cauliflower florets to food processor and pulse until rice-like texture
3.  Put in microwave safe container with a lid and microwave for about 6-8 minutes
4.  Once microwaved, place cauliflower in a large bowl, and add eggs, mozzarella, oregano, garlic, and salt and pepper.  
5.  Place mixture on pans and shape into pizza or breadstick form.
6.  Bake for 25 min., or until golden brown. Once golden, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 5 more minutes if doing cheese bread.  If doing pizza, top with marinara, toppings, and cheese.  

I topped my pizza with some spinach






No comments:

Post a Comment