Friday, May 1, 2015

Birthdays and Stuff

HEELLLLLOOOO!

I was planning on writing this post a few days ago, but it was a busy week in my world.

I went back home for the weekend to celebrate my best friend Ashlie's golden birthday! Yeah, 23 is a big age for us.  *Cue Blink 182 "Nobody likes you when you're 23"*


We were very excited.

But first, I stopped at my aunt and uncles to spend the night and have some quality time.  I was sent home with some fresh eggs, homegrown honey, fresh maple syrup, apple chips, and some canned cabbage, so needless to say, I was one spoiled and happy gal.  

Gourd Garden

Fresh eggs and homemade non-gmo bread makes my tummy smile.
So, before leaving for the weekend I had to actively try not to go crazy with eating whatever I want, like I usually do.  I made a huge batch of trail mix and put them all into little baggies for the car ride or whenever I was hungry which tends to be a lot.

Trail Mix
  • Raw Almonds
  • Pecans
  • Banana Chips
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Dried Pinapple
  • Dried Cranberries
It took all I had in me not to add some dark chocolate chips, but this is a good combo that won't be bad for you like the ones you buy at the gas station.  It's also much cheaper! *score*

This helped me on my way home, majorly.

Tom, Alex, Ash, and I went to Benihana for dinner and of course Tom just has to order Ash and I a fishbowl with our dinner.  (that always ends well)

Fast forward to after dinner.  3 bottles of champagne, a bottle of Jameson, and many fireball shots later and wouldn't you know, I'm home in bed by midnight! Who is shocked?! Not me, falling asleep at the table at Trinity.  I clearly cannot handle my liquor like I used to, but I JUST GET SO EXCITED TO SEE MY FRIENDS I CAN'T STOP.

I baked so many treats for Ash, because they are her favorites and who can say no to her?!

Funfetti cupcakes, s'more bars, and coco chip cookie bars, oh my!

What a pretty best friend I have!!


We definitely were missing our best friend, Allisen as well.  It's just not the same when all of us aren't together!

After a fun and wild hour out on the town and 7 hours of sleep later, it was of course time for brunch.

We went to The Wicked Hop in the Third Ward, and it was packed.  But it was a beautiful day, so who can complain?! 

My hangover kicked in shortly after, so I had a s'more bar and the sugar rejuvenated me, it was amazing.

After a quite unhealthy Sunday, I decided to kick it back into gear when I returned to La Crosse and make a new recipe. Spring Rolls.  They look delicious when I see pictures, so of course I had to try for myself.


The first time, I made them vegetarian.  I used the spring rolls found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store next to the wontons and all that jazz.

The second time, I added a little shrimp to get some more protein.


They definitely did the trick to making me feel better after all those sweets I was bound to have.

Spring Rolls
  • 2 Rice paper spring rolls
  • Shredded Carrots
  • Sliced Red Cabbage
  • Sliced Bell pepper
  • Spinach
  • Additional add ins: Sprouts, Shrimp (approx. 3-4), Chicken, Radishes, etc.
Soak rice paper in warm water for about 15 seconds.  Arrange veggies in the center of the roll.  I didn't do exact measurements because you can kind of add however much of each you'd like.  Just use your judgment as to not over fill the rolls.  Once all ingredients are in, roll it up!

I had a dipping sauce for mine.

Sauce
  • 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1 tbsp Honey
  • 1 tbsp liquid Aminos (or low sodium soy sauce)
    • I added a little garlic powder and you can add Sriracha to spice it up! I heated it for about 15 sec. in the microwave to combine and stirred it all well.

ENJOY.








No comments:

Post a Comment